Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Making Godly Friends

I am not a lover of yard work! I don't like getting dirt under my nails, or getting hot and sweaty, having sore muscles for days, etc. But, I do love the results -- the beauty that comes forth especially as the summer progresses and the plants bloom, the plants growing and filling out, the scent of the flowers, and the satisfaction of knowing "my hard work paid off".


So, as I looked at my unkempt yard and the overwhelming amount of work needing to be done--weeding, digging up grass, planting, transplanting, etc. I knew I had to have some help. I asked God to send someone to help me which I "thought" would be someone my husband ran across at his place of business.


But one Sunday, Peggy-- who comes to our Home Church-- offered to help me. In my mind, I knew I couldn't ask her to help nor let her--that was OUT of the question. But, as I lay in bed that night thinking about her offer I heard God say, "You asked me to send someone." WOW!!! "But, Lord, I thought you'd send someone else--a man who is used to working in the hot sun." He didn't respond, but I knew for some reason God wanted Peggy and me working together.


Peggy and I set a date, I got my husband to take off from work, (he would be the "digger" or "excavation expert" whichever term best suits) and I was ready--so I thought. I'd been nauseated the day before and when I woke up I was still nauseated. The thought occurred to me that perhaps I should reschedule, but I decided against that. God would be my strength. Bill had to leave for a while to check on some things at his business, so Peggy and I started on the yard. She became the "excavation expert" and I raked. The sun was hot which didn't help my nausea. Lots of "little breaks" were necessary, but Peggy was kind enough to stop, too. Bill finally came back. We left him digging while we went to get some more materials, and pick up a bite to eat. We finished up mulching an area and decided to stop for the day. Our day had begun at 8 and it was 2 when we stopped.


So, why did God send Peggy and not someone else? It was a time to develop friendships, to learn about one another. I feel very blessed that God thinks enough of me to send someone as kind as Peggy into my life. We have a lot in common and I know our friendship will grow even more. I'm extremely happy that God knows how to choose Godly friends for me. And, I'm sure he will send more and more lovely people into my life.


In His Steps -- Making Godly Friends,
Judy

No comments: