Thursday, June 12, 2008

God Uses Everyone

There is an elderly couple who live across the street from us.  The lady has Alzheimer's and her husband is in poor health.  I see her out frequently walking up and down the street, and have even see her in our backyard occasionally.  She is lonely and looking for someone to visit.   Sometimes, she will ring our doorbell--not one short ring, but 5 or 10 consecutive rings.  I've invited her inside several times and have heard the same story about where she used to live, where her husband worked, etc.  But, as a Christian, it is my responsibility to be kind to Sue (not her real name) and reach out to her.  Everytime she has visited she leaves by saying, "Come see me sometime."  So, today when I went to check the mail, there sat Sue and her husband on the front porch waiting for the mail to be delivered--probably the highlight of their day.  I walked across the street and visited with them for a little while, she offered me a drink, we chatted, and then I walked back across the street to our house.  I felt good because I knew I'd been obedient to God.  And, I knew both of them needed something different in their lives today.  Even if it was a "small thing"  it didn't go unnoticed by God.  We often take for granted the small things, but it's the small things which are so important to others and to God.  One of the things God has told me is small things lead to big things.  

I was almost finished with this entry when the doorbell rang several times.  Sue was at the front door.  I mostly listened while she shared most of the same stories again and asked me the same questions more than once.  God is teaching me patience and showing me how to love everyone.  He's a good God and I thank him for changing me.  The thought came to me as I was rereading this entry that Sue had reached out to me, too.  She probably didn't realize it, but God had placed her at my front door to teach me patience and love.  Thank you God for using everyone!

Oh, and BTW we still have dogwood blooms!

God Bless Each of You,
Judy  

No comments: